Posted on Sunday / February 26
We are extra excited this week to share this important Family Update! This week we celebrate our state championship winning girls and boys basketball teams, we outline some important dismissal procedures being implemented this week, we have a Wax Museum, Book Fair, Free G-League tickets, Elementary Dance and Dress Down Days, and so much more! Articles, photos from events, and links to flyers are all below!
Please click on the article title below to jump ahead to that article
|DPAC Calendar & Events||Dismissal Schedule | Events This Week | End of Quarter 3|
|Important Dismissal Updates||No Re-Entry to Campus|
|Black History Month||Talent Show Photos | Free G-League Tix | HBCU Panel | Cookout Rescheduled|
|Athletics Update||State Champs Girls and Boys Basketball | Raider Nation Interview|
|Enchanted Hearts Dance||Elementary School Dance – Cheer Fundraiser|
|Nevada Reading Week||Wax Museum | Elementary Dress Down Days|
DPAC Calendar & Events
Dismissal Schedule and No-School Days
- For a copy of the full year calendar outlining all half-days and no-school days please follow THIS LINK
- Monday February 27 – Friday, March 3 Regular Dismissal
- Save the Date: Monday, March 20 – Friday, March 24: No School Spring Break
Events This Week
This week is particularly exciting with Black History Month events, Reading Week events, community events, and more. Please take special note of the upcoming events and invitations below as well as the link the their fliers. Please note there is not a DPAC Board Meeting for the month of February that would normally occur this week; the DPAC Board is receiving training. More details about this week’s events can be found in their articles below.
|Monday, February 27||Wax Museum Elementary School||View the flyer here|
|Tuesday, February 28||Democracy Prep Public School HBCU Panel||View the flyer here|
|Monday, February 27 – Friday, March 3||Elementary School Dress Down Schedule||View the flyer here|
|Saturday, March 4||Elementary School Enchanted Hearts Dance||View the flyer here|
|Friday, April 14||Rescheduled Community Cookout||View the flyer here|
End of Quarter 3 & Family Teacher Conferences
Please remember that March 17 is the end of Quarter 3. We encourage all scholars and families to check in regularly with your teachers about your academic progress. Family Teacher Conferences for Quarter 3 will take place on Wednesday April, 12.
Important Dismissal Updates
No Re-Entry After Scholars Exit Campus
To help ensure a safe and enjoyable environment after school for scheduled programs, practices and tutoring we are re-focusing our efforts towards our dismissal practices. This week we will be training all scholars, families, and staff on these necessary dismissal procedures. What this means for scholars and families:
- All 6th-12th grade scholars and staff will exit their school buildings at the 2:50pm dismissal and walk towards the South Gate.
- Scholars with scheduled after-school activities or meetings on campus will gather on the turf and wait there supervised until their designated coach or teacher collects them.
- All scholars without scheduled activities will exit the South Gate and will not be allowed to re-enter campus. The South Gate will be closed at 3:00pm.
- If a scholar has a scheduled event on campus immediately after-school and chooses to leave campus, they will not be permitted to return on campus through any entrance. They will miss the scheduled practice or event.
Thank you for your understanding. If you have questions or concerns please feel free to reach out via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Black History Month
Thank you to all the scholars, teachers and families who came out for the Black History Month Talent Show! We are especially proud of the scholars who showed such bravery and enthusiasm in sharing their many talents to a full room of family and friends! Congrats to all the winners and we can’t wait to share the details on the next event!
Free G-League Tickets
We are grateful for such an amazing partnership with our local Ignite team, Las Vegas’ own NBA G-League Team!
On February 27 and February 28 all DPAC families have up to 4 free tickets for their upcoming games on Monday and Tuesday as a part of their Black History Month celebrations.
- To receive your free tickets click the link to register
- When asked for the passowrd please enter: DPAC
Full Link: https://tix.axs.com/GTA%2fLgAAAACLBYZ5AAAAAADj%2fv%2f%2f%2fwB4DgAAB2dsZWFndWUA%2f%2f%2f%2f%2f%2f%2f%2f%2f%2f8%3d
We’re so excited for our HBCU panel! From the greatest Black professionals in the country to our very own educators and staff, HBCUs have nurtured and shaped incredible people who change the world. Here are just some of the amazing people we’ll hear from during our panel:
- Darren Boykin, President of Ascension Technical Consultants, Inc. – Morehouse College
- Kristina Savoy, Chief Learning Officer for District of Columbia Department of Human Resources – Spelman College
- Eric Smiley, Entrepreneur, Founder of ‘Stay True To My HBCU’ Campaign and ‘Stay True To Yourself’ Brand, & Dean of Culture at DPEHS – Delaware State University
Don’t forget to mark your calendars!
Date: Tuesday, February 28th, 2023
Time: 2:30PM PT | 4:30PM CT | 5:30PM ET
Zoom Info: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/
Rescheduled Community Cook Out @ DPAC
The Cook Out is rescheduled for Friday, April 14th. The Cookout is a community event where we will feature a pop-up shop and marketplace for local businesses and our school clubs will have fundraisers, games and entertainment for all.
- Please see the updated flyer here.
- Families who have local businesses can submit a The Cookout vendor form.
- Family fun competitions: At the Cookout we are having a Spades, Dominoes, Bid Whiz, and Chess Competition. Any DPAC family or scholar can sign up on the Competitions form.
Congratulations to both the Varsity Girls and Varsity Boys Basketball teams who swept the 2A State Championship this Saturday! We are so proud of your true display grit, discipline, a maturity. Let’s come together as a Blue Knight community and celebrate this momentous occasion!
Raider Nation Interview
DPAC’s own Head Football Coach, Darwin Peterson, recently met with Raiders President Sandra Douglas Morgan. He was then interviewed on Raider Nation Radio. You can check it out by following this link: https://www.raiders.com/audio/raiders-in-the-community-democracy-prep-head-coach-darwin-peterson-2023
Enchanted Hearts Dance – Cheer Fundraiser
On Saturday, March 4, Elementary School Cheer will be hosting a DANCE that includes games, food, and activities for grades K – 5. It will be located in the Elementary School Tech Center. Tickets will go on sale Monday, February 27th and may be purchased from your Advisory Teacher and/or an Elementary Cheer Coach (Ms. Clark, Ms. Gaston, or Ms. Garcia).
- Click HERE for the flyer
- Time: 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Date: 3/4/2023
- Dress code: DRESS TO IMPRESS
- Cost: $5 presale / $8 at the door
- Concessions: Available for purchase at the event
Nevada Reading Week “One World, Many Stories”.
So many of you were so creative with the different Valentine’s Day treats, I can’t wait to see what you create for our K-5 Black History Month projects that are due. Your child should have received information from their teachers on the Live Wax Museum project a couple of weeks ago. I have linked it below for your convenience. As a reminder, this project is not optional and will be for a grade!
The Wax Museum event will go from 1:00 – 2:00pm
- Monday, February 27 from 1:00pm – 2:00pm. Scholars will be outside their classroom doors. Families should enter and exit through the front office.
- Live Wax Museum (English)
- Live Wax Museum (Spanish)
Dress Down Days for Elementary Scholars
As a part of our Reading Week festivities the Elementary School have select Dress Down options. Please refer to the flyer HERE for full details. During dress down days scholars should still follow uniform guidelines by avoiding jeans with rips in them and they should still wear appropriate close-toed shoes.
- Monday – Scholars may wear their “One World Many Stories” t-shirt.
- Tuesday – Acrostic Poem T-shirts.
- Wednesday – Funny hats with DPAC uniform (only if book report is turned in)
- Thursday – Dr. Seuss inspired t-shirts
- Friday – Dress as your character (only if report was turned in and dress down ticket received)
Friday, March 3 – Scholastic Book Fair Begins: Our Scholastic Book Fair is a great opportunity for scholars to build their own library at home with books that they chose based on their interests! There will be something for everyone with comic books, picture books, suspenseful novels, and even sports and science based books. Hope to see you there during this two week event beginning on Friday, March 3!