Posted on Thursday / March 12
At Democracy Prep, the health, wellness, and safety of our scholars and families; educators; and staff are a top priority. With that in mind, we want to share all of the preventative measures being taken on campus related to COVID-19 (coronavirus). We maintain regular contact with the Nevada Department of Education, the Governor’s Office, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Nevada State Public Charter School Authority, and the Southern Nevada Health District.
- Every night, our janitorial team cleans and disinfects all sinks, faucets, toilets, toilet seats, urinals, and restroom countertops across the campus. Bathroom floors are mopped with germicidal solution. Light switches, door handles, door frames, and doors are cleaned. Lunchroom tables, classroom desks, tables, chairs, countertops, and cabinet fronts are cleaned and disinfected nightly. Janitors clean and polish drinking fountains, mirrors and metal surfaces
- Staff and scholars are trained to follow standard precautions for reducing risk of getting and spreading viral respiratory infections. We encourage you to share and practice these at home and work.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands;
- Avoid contact with people who are sick;
- Stay home while sick and avoid close contact with others; and
- Cover mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash hands.
In addition to our proactive measures, we have implemented a fist/elbow bump policy in place of standard handshakes. We had not done this previously, but the rapid spread of the disease has prompted us to take this action. We will continue to follow the news and recommendations made by the authorities to keep everyone on campus and involved with our school safe and healthy.